An experienced Software Engineer skilled in requirements analysis, design, development and testing of web based solutions primarily using Java. Excellent analytical, design and problem solving abilities. Highly motivated and committed to delivering the highest standard of work using the best available tools. Self-reliant with the ability to rapidly learn new technologies and efficiently put them to use in a production environment.
Skills & Abilities
|Field||Tools & Technologies used|
Lead Developer, The New Motion, Amsterdam, NLFeb 2013 – Present
The New Motion operates an electric car charging network throughout The Netherlands, Belgium and Germany.
- Currently working as part of a team on the core product at the heart of The New Motion's infrastructure, which allows charge points to connect to a central system and authorize charge cards, as well as storing all session information so that card holders can then be billed.
- Took a lead role in rebranding the customer portal to be more user friendly and visually more appealing.
Software Developer, Prepay Solutions, Swindon, UKFeb 2010 – Dec 2011
Prepay Solutions is the market leader in designing and delivering stored-value card solutions including prepaid debit cards, retail gift cards, corporate incentive cards, prepaid payroll cards and insurance claim cards. The company is jointly owned by Edenred and MasterCard Worldwide.
- Development of a new Configuration Tool which could be used by people without technical knowledge of the system.
- Liaised with both the technical and business teams to create a set of metadata which the tool uses to convert business knowledge into technical settings.
- The tool reduced the time taken to roll out a new customer configuration from over a week to 1-2 days.
- Developed a prototype iPhone App to allow users to check information about their cards such as balances, transactions and also make payments using QR codes.
- The App was presented at the headquarters of Edenred in Paris and a personal company award for innovation was received.
- Technologies used: Objective C, iOS SDK, Xcode, SVN.
- Developed a web interface to allow PPS’s customers to log onto their systems and schedule when transaction reports are run and download these reports once they are generated.
Java Developer, Andrew Network Solutions, Bristol, UKFeb 2008 – Jun 2008
ANS is the UK based division of Andrew Corporation, developing products for the Mobile Telecoms industry.
- Adapted an existing product to support entry of monetary values using different currencies depending upon the values of other data fields.
- Delivered the changes on time and to specification.
Java Developer, Xenicom, Bristol, UKMar 2002 – Sep 2005
Xenicom developed products for the Mobile Telecoms industry, and later became Andrew Network Solutions.
- Liaised with the Product Manager and Business Analysts to produce UML diagrams and use cases.
- Worked as part of a small team in the UK and a larger team in India to develop a web based tool to help mobile operators roll out and upgrade their base stations. This included spending a month on-site in Mumbai working with an outsourcing company.
Delphi Developer, Gamar, Bristol, UKMar 1999 – Jun 2002
Gamar was a UK based start-up developing products for the Mobile Telecoms industry.
- Worked as part of a small team to develop the companies’ first product, a tool to help mobile operators roll out and upgrade their base stations.
- Designed and developed a number or reusable Delphi components for the company to use internally in their products. These included a gaant chart component which became an integral part of the product.
- Technologies used: Delphi, Oracle, VSS
Software Developer, Health International, Bristol, UKJun 1995 – Mar 1999
Health International provided solutions to the Health Care industry.
- Provided support and bug fixing for 2 MS-DOS based products.
- Lead Development of a new Windows based version of a patient care survey tool using Borland Delphi. This product included a connection to a bar code reading device which eliminated the need for hours of laborious data entry.
- Mentoring of a Junior Developer.
- Technologies used: Dataflex, Delphi, SQL.
Backwell Comprehensive School, North Somerset, UK1988 – 1995
- 8 GCSEs grades A-C including English & Mathematics.
- A-Levels in Mathematics & Physics.
TravelOct 2005 - Dec 2007, Jun 2008 - Nov 2009 and Jan 2012 - Dec 2012
Travelled to over 60 countries around the world. Met people from many different cultures and backgrounds and improved ability to cope in unfamiliar situations and environments. Studied Spanish during a one year immersive stay in Peru.